Current:Home > MarketsOliver James Montgomery-Citing security concerns, Canada bans TikTok on government devices -Blueprint Money Mastery
Oliver James Montgomery-Citing security concerns, Canada bans TikTok on government devices
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-06 18:58:59
TORONTO — Canada announced Monday it is Oliver James Montgomerybanning TikTok from all government-issued mobile devices, reflecting widening worries from Western officials over the Chinese-owned video sharing app.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said it might be a first step to further action or that it might be it.
"I suspect that as government takes the significant step of telling all federal employees that they can no longer use TikTok on their work phones many Canadians from business to private individuals will reflect on the security of their own data and perhaps make choices," Trudeau said.
"I'm always a fan of giving Canadians the information for them to make the right decisions for them," he added.
The European Union's executive branch said last week it has temporarily banned TikTok from phones used by employees as a cybersecurity measure.
The EU's action follows similar moves in the U.S., where more than half of the states and Congress have banned TikTok from official government devices.
Last week, Canada's federal privacy watchdog and its provincial counterparts in British Columbia, Alberta and Quebec announced an investigation to delve into whether the app complies with Canadian privacy legislation.
TikTok is wildly popular with young people, but its Chinese ownership has raised fears that Beijing could use it to collect data on Western users or push pro-China narratives and misinformation. TikTok is owned by ByteDance, a Chinese company that moved its headquarters to Singapore in 2020
TikTok faces intensifying scrutiny from Europe and America over security and data privacy amid worries that the app could be used to promote pro-Beijing views or sweep up users' information. It comes as China and the West are locked in a wider tug of war over technology ranging from spy balloons to computer chips.
Canadian Treasury Board President Mona Fortier said the federal government will also block the app from being downloaded on official devices in the future.
Fortier said in statement the Chief Information Officer of Canada determined that it "presents an unacceptable level of risk to privacy and security."
The app will be removed from Canadian government issued phones on Tuesday.
"On a mobile device, TikTok's data collection methods provide considerable access to the contents of the phone," Fortier said.
"While the risks of using this application are clear, we have no evidence at this point that government information has been compromised."
Recent media reports have also raised concerns about potential Chinese interference in recent Canadian elections, prompting opposition parties to call for a public inquiry into alleged foreign election interference.
"It's curious that the Government of Canada has moved to block TikTok on government-issued devices—without citing any specific security concern or contacting us with questions—only after similar bans were introduced in the EU and the US," a TikTok spokesperson said in a email.
The company is always available to discuss the privacy and security of Canadians, the statement said. "Singling out TikTok in this way does nothing to achieve that shared goal," the email said. "All it does is prevent officials from reaching the public on a platform loved by millions of Canadians."
veryGood! (69)
Related
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- Cincinnati Bengals Quarterback Joe Burrow's Love Story With Olivia Holzmacher Is a True Touchdown
- Are almonds good for you? Learn more about this nutrient-dense snack.
- Israeli delegation attends UN heritage conference in Saudi Arabia in first public visit by officials
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Governor's temporary ban on carrying guns in public meets resistance
- Medical debt nearly pushed this family into homelessness. Millions more are at risk
- 'The Nun 2' scares up $32.6 million at the box office, takes down 'Equalizer 3' for No. 1
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- Age and elected office: Concerns about performance outweigh benefits of experience
Ranking
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- Appeals court reduces restrictions on Biden administration contact with social media platforms
- Foreign student arrested in Norway on suspicion of espionage including electronic eavesdropping
- Emily Blunt and John Krasinski and Their 2 Daughters Make Rare Public Family Appearance at U.S. Open
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- See Olivia Culpo, Alix Earle and More Influencers' #OOTDs at New York Fashion Week
- NFL Week 1 highlights: Catch up on all the big moments from Sunday's action
- Why autoworkers' leader is calling for a 4-day work week from Big 3 car makers
Recommendation
Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
A US Navy veteran got unexpected help while jailed in Iran. Once released, he repaid the favor
Australian and Indonesian forces deploy battle tanks in US-led combat drills amid Chinese concern
New Mexico governor issues order suspending the right to carry firearms in Albuquerque
Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
The death toll from floods in Greece has risen to 15 after 4 more bodies found, authorities say
Joe Jonas Addresses His Crazy Week and Makes a Plea to Fans Amid Sophie Turner Divorce
Jessa Duggar is pregnant with her fifth child: ‘Our rainbow baby is on the way’