Current:Home > MyRobert Brown|Federal prosecutors charge ex-Los Angeles County deputies in sham raid and $37M extortion -Blueprint Money Mastery
Robert Brown|Federal prosecutors charge ex-Los Angeles County deputies in sham raid and $37M extortion
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 18:31:46
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Two former Los Angeles County sheriff’s deputies and Robert Browntwo former foreign military officials have been charged with threatening a Chinese national and his family with violence and deportation during a sham raid at his Orange County home five years ago, federal prosecutors said Monday.
The four men also demanded $37 million and the rights to the man’s business, according to the U.S. attorney’s office in Los Angeles. Authorities have not released the businessman’s name.
The men are scheduled to be arraigned Monday afternoon on charges of conspiracy to commit extortion, attempted extortion, conspiracy against rights, and deprivation of rights under color of law.
Prosecutors said the group drove to the victim’s house in Irvine on June 17, 2019, and forced him, his wife and their two children into a room for hours, took their phones, and threatened to deport him unless he complied with their demands. Authorities said the man is a legal permanent resident.
The men slammed the businessman against a wall and choked him, prosecutors said. Fearing for his and his family’s safety, he signed documents relinquishing his multimillion-dollar interest in Jiangsu Sinorgchem Technology Co. Ltd., a China-based company that makes rubber chemicals.
Federal prosecutors said the man’s business partner, a Chinese woman who was not indicted, financed the bogus raid. The two had been embroiled in legal disputes over the company in the United States and China for more than a decade, prosecutors said.
Prosecutors said one of the men charged, Steven Arthur Lankford — who retired from the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department in 2020 — searched for information on the victim in a national database using a terminal at the sheriff’s department. They said Lankford, 68, drove the other three men to the victim’s house in an unmarked sheriff’s department vehicle, flashed his badge and identified himself as a police officer.
It was not immediately clear if Lankford has an attorney who can speak on his behalf. The Associated Press left a message Monday at a telephone number listed for Lankford, but he did not respond.
Federal prosecutors also charged Glen Louis Cozart, 63, of Upland, who also used to be a sheriff’s deputy. The AP left a phone message for Cozart, but he didn’t immediately respond.
Lankford was hired by Cozart, who in turn was hired by Max Samuel Bennett Turbett, a 39-year-old U.K. citizen and former member of the British military who also faces charges. Prosecutors said Turbett was hired by the Chinese businesswoman who financed the bogus raid.
Matthew Phillip Hart, 41, an Australian citizen and former member of the Australian military, is also charged in the case.
“It is critical that we hold public officials, including law enforcement officers, to the same standards as the rest of us,” said United States Attorney Martin Estrada. “It is unacceptable and a serious civil rights violation for a sworn police officer to take the law into his own hands and abuse the authority of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.”
If convicted, the four men could each face up to 20 years in federal prison.
veryGood! (8166)
Related
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- 1 person dead after shooting inside Washington state movie theater
- Garcelle Beauvais Says Pal Jamie Foxx Is Doing Well Following Health Scare
- How Damar Hamlin's collapse fueled anti-vaccine conspiracy theories
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- MacKenzie Scott is shaking up philanthropy's traditions. Is that a good thing?
- All the TV Moms We Wish Would Adopt Us
- A guide to 9 global buzzwords for 2023, from 'polycrisis' to 'zero-dose children'
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- Take a Bite Out of The Real Housewives of New York City Reboot's Drama-Filled First Trailer
Ranking
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Dancing With the Stars Pro Witney Carson Welcomes Baby No. 2
- Thwarted Bingaman Still Eyeing Clean Energy Standard in Next Congress
- CBS News poll analysis: GOP primary voters still see Trump as best shot against Biden
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- How are Trump's federal charges different from the New York indictment? Legal experts explain the distinctions
- Don't 'get' art? You might be looking at it wrong
- Many ERs offer minimal care for miscarriage. One group wants that to change
Recommendation
$73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
With telehealth abortion, doctors have to learn to trust and empower patients
The FDA finalizes rule expanding the availability of abortion pills
Why Scheana Shay Has Been Hard On Herself Amid Vanderpump Rules Drama
'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
Save Time and Money Between Salon Visits With This Root Touch-Up Spray That Has 8,700+ 5-Star Reviews
24-Hour Flash Deal: Save 42% On This Attachment That Turns Your KitchenAid Mixer Into an Ice Cream Maker
Take a Bite Out of The Real Housewives of New York City Reboot's Drama-Filled First Trailer