Current:Home > MarketsMichigan football coach Jim Harbaugh's suspension agreement called off, per report -Blueprint Money Mastery
Michigan football coach Jim Harbaugh's suspension agreement called off, per report
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 20:10:10
So much for that suspension for Jim Harbaugh.
The agreed upon four-game suspension for the Michigan football coach has hit a snag and will now not happen, according to Yahoo! Sports columnist Dan Wetzel. Two assistant coaches, including offensive coordinator Sherrone Moore, were slated to serve one-game suspensions.
The agreement needed approval from the NCAA Committee of Infractions, which was expected to come before Michigan's season opener against East Carolina on Sept. 2.
But now, according to Wetzel's report, the deal is off. The case will now go through the normal hearing process, which likely will push any punishment into 2024.
Michigan football spokesman David Ablauf said Saturday night "we are unable to comment as this is still an ongoing case."
COLORADO: Football coach Deion Sanders is happy with team's progress
The suspension was for the Level I and II violations the NCAA said Harbaugh and the football program committed. The Level II violations stemmed from recruiting and coaching infractions. The Level I offenses, deemed more serious, were from statements that Harbaugh made to the NCAA, which the organization deemed misleading.
A person familiar with the situation told the Free Press on July 25 that Michigan sent its request for a "negotiated resolution" to the committee, which would have 30 days to accept, reject or change the penalty upon receipt.
That resolution included suspensions for Moore and tight ends coach Grant Newsome, according to the person. There is also a one-year show-cause penalty for former defensive coordinator Mike McDonald.
"We are continuing to work cooperatively with the NCAA staff on an enforcement matter," Michigan athletic director Warde Manuel said in a statement shortly after news of the resolution broke. "At this time, we cannot comment further on any aspect of the matter."
Negotiations date to January, when people familiar with the situation confirmed to the Free Press that Harbaugh would not admit to knowingly misleading investigators, leaving talks at a standstill. Yahoo! reported that Harbaugh did admit to the Level II violations, which the Free Press confirmed stem from recruiting violations during a COVID-19 dead period, texting a recruit during a time not allowed, having analysts serve in on-field roles and having coaches watch players work out via Zoom.
"This is a one game suspension for the actual infraction," one person said, "and three games for their belief that he was less than forthright with their investigators."
Harbaugh, who had dalliances with the NFL for a second consecutive offseason, was thought to be on the verge of a new contract extension with Michigan, but there has been no public confirmation since Harbaugh announced he would return to Ann Arbor for the 2023 season.
Manuel did tell the Free Press earlier this summer that the two sides have, "had conversations about that" and "at the appropriate time, we'll make an announcement."
veryGood! (616)
Related
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- California voters reject measure that would have banned forced prison labor
- See Leonardo DiCaprio's Transformation From '90s Heartthrob to Esteemed Oscar Winner
- Sister Wives’ Madison Brush Details Why She Went “No Contact” With Dad Kody Brown
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- 2 Florida women charged after shooting death of photographer is livestreamed
- 'The Penguin' spoilers! Colin Farrell spills on that 'dark' finale episode
- 2 Florida women charged after shooting death of photographer is livestreamed
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Let Demi Moore’s Iconic Fashion Give You More Inspiration
Ranking
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- Taylor Swift's Mom Andrea Gives Sweet Nod to Travis Kelce at Chiefs Game
- 'Devastation is absolutely heartbreaking' from Southern California wildfire
- Barbora Krejcikova calls out 'unprofessional' remarks about her appearance
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- 'Joker 2' actor pans DC sequel as the 'worst film' ever: 'It has no plot'
- Chiefs block last-second field goal to save unbeaten record, beat Broncos
- 4 charged in Detroit street shooting that left 2 dead, 5 wounded
Recommendation
Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
A list of mass killings in the United States this year
World War II veteran reflects on life as he turns 100
Why the US celebrates Veterans Day and how the holiday has changed over time
Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
NASCAR Cup Series Championship race 2024: Start time, TV, live stream, odds, lineup
Colts' Kenny Moore II ridicules team's effort in loss to Bills
2024 'virtually certain' to be warmest year on record, scientists say