Current:Home > InvestRory McIlroy shoots down LIV Golf rumors: 'I will play the PGA Tour for the rest of my career' -Blueprint Money Mastery
Rory McIlroy shoots down LIV Golf rumors: 'I will play the PGA Tour for the rest of my career'
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-06 13:16:26
Rory McIlroy maintains he's sticking with the PGA Tour following a report that LIV Golf offered him $850 million and an ownership stake to join the league.
"I honestly don't know how these things get started. I've never been offered a number from LIV and I've never contemplated going to LIV," McIlroy told Golf Channel.
"I think I've made it clear over the past two years that I don't think it's something for me. Doesn't mean that I judge people that have went and played over there — I think one of the things that I've realized over the past two years is people can make their own decisions for whatever they think is best for themselves and who are we to judge them for that? But personally, for me, my future is here on the PGA Tour and it's never been any different."
McIlroy doubled down on his commitment to the PGA Tour, saying he will spend the rest of his career with it.
"Over the last two years there's been so many rumors of guys — I think the one thing I've realized as well ... guys need to keep an open mind. I'm sure there's been players that are still playing on the PGA Tour that have talked to the guys from LIV and had offers and whatever. .... It's never even been a conversation for us.
"It's one of those things. It's unfortunate that we have to deal with it and this is the state that our game's in. But I'm obviously here today and I'm playing this PGA Tour event next week and I will play the PGA Tour for the rest of my career."
McIlroy's agent said there was "zero truth" to the rumors and labeled them as "fake news."
The four-time major champ had been one of LIV Golf's more vocal critics since its inception, going so far as to say last year that, "If LIV Golf was the last place to play golf on Earth, I would retire." McIlroy's stance on the Saudi-funded tour appears to have softened somewhat in recent months, however.
"I wouldn't say I've lost the fight against LIV, but I've just accepted the fact that this is part of our sport now," McIlroy said in January.
He added then he was "maybe a little judgmental of the guys who went to LIV Golf at the start, and I think it was a bit of a mistake on my part because I now realize that not everyone is in my position or in Tiger Woods' position."
He echoed many of those comments while speaking Tuesday with Golf Channel. His personal commitment to the PGA Tour, though, appears to remain firm.
veryGood! (16389)
Related
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- ‘Weather Whiplash’ Helped Drive This Year’s California Wildfires
- Firefighters hope cooler weather will aid their battle against 3 major Southern California fires
- Alicia Silverstone says toilet paper carries 'risk of cancer.' What's the truth about PFAS?
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Authorities find no smoking gun in Nassar records held by Michigan State University
- Omaha school shooting began with a fight between 2 boys, court documents say
- Experts to review 7 murder cases handled by Minnesota medical examiner accused of false testimony
- Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
- Court won’t allow public money to be spent on private schools in South Carolina
Ranking
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Video captures Jon Bon Jovi helping talk woman in crisis off Nashville bridge ledge
- Boy George, Squeeze team for gleefully nostalgic tour. 'There's a lot of joy in this room'
- Volkswagen is recalling close to 99K electric vehicles due to faulty door handles
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- 2024 MTV VMAs: Flavor Flav Crowns Jordan Chiles With This Honor After Medal Controversy
- Kendall Jenner Debuts Head-Turning Blonde Hair Transformation
- Laura Loomer, who promoted a 9/11 conspiracy theory, joins Trump for ceremonies marking the attacks
Recommendation
From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
Dave Grohl and Wife Jordyn Blum Were All Smiles on Wimbledon Date 2 Months Before His Baby News
Former South Carolina, Jets RB Kevin Long dies at 69
2024 MTV VMAs: Suki Waterhouse Shares Sweet Update on Parenthood With Robert Pattinson
Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
2024 MTV VMAs: See How Megan Thee Stallion Recreated Britney Spears' Iconic Snake Routine
Taylor Swift stuns on VMAs red carpet in punk-inspired plaid corset
California Slashed Harmful Vehicle Emissions, but People of Color and Overburdened Communities Continue to Breathe the Worst Air