Current:Home > MyBiden meets virtually with Congressional Hispanic Caucus members as he fights to stay in 2024 presidential race -Blueprint Money Mastery
Biden meets virtually with Congressional Hispanic Caucus members as he fights to stay in 2024 presidential race
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 16:25:14
President Biden met virtually with BOLD PAC, the political arm of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus on Friday, continuing his behind-the-scenes conversations with Democratic lawmakers as he and his allies seek to stem the flow of defections that began soon after his debate last month with former President Donald Trump.
During the meeting, caucus member Rep. Mike Levin called on the president to step out of the race, according to a person on the call and another source familiar with the call. Afterward, Levin issued a public statement to that effect.
"Like so many of you, I was naturally concerned about President Biden's performance in the recent debate," Levin said in his statement. "Since then, I've made my opinions known in the appropriate manner with House Democratic leadership and my colleagues."
Levin said that it wasn't easy for him to make the statement. "I have deep respect for President Biden's five plus decades of public service and incredible appreciation for the work we've done together these last three and a half years," he wrote. "But I believe the time has come for President Biden to pass the torch."
The call ran about 30 minutes, during which Mr. Biden took three questions from members. In a nutshell, Levin told the president he's accomplished a great deal in the last three years, but Trump is a threat to democracy and it's time to pass the torch to a younger generation. Levin is not of Hispanic heritage, but was on the call because he represents a district that is more than 25% Hispanic.
"That's why I'm going out and letting people touch me, poke me, ask me questions," the president said, according to a person who provided a partial transcript of the call. "I think I know what I'm doing – because the truth of the matter is – I'm going to say something outrageous – No president in three years has done what we have in three years other than Franklin Roosevelt, because of your help. That's not hyperbole, that's a fact. No president."
"And so, that doesn't answer the question," the president continued. "That's — that was great when you were feeling good, Biden, are you okay now? That's what's underlying. That's what people are worried about. 'I've got a grandfather who's 85 years old and he can't walk.' It's a legitimate concern for people, but that's why I think it's important I gotta get out and show people everything from how well I move to how much I know and that I'm still in good charge."
The call with BOLD PAC was arranged in order to discuss the 2024 election, the Biden campaign said. Democratic Sen. Alex Padilla of California told CBS News earlier this week that a call was in the works, as the president continues to try to reassure his party that he's up to the rigors of the presidency and that he can beat Donald Trump in November. It's not clear how many Democratic lawmakers were on the call.
On Thursday night, the president sat down with House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries at the White House to hear about the concerns of the House Democratic caucus. So far, 17 House Democrats have publicly called on the president step down, with many more expressing concerns privately.
One lawmaker on the call said some members of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus remain likely to monitor what happens in the coming days.
"I think some people will say 'let's wait and see'" how the president does "over next couple days," the Democratic lawmaker said.
"I thought he did well last night," the lawmaker also said. "I thought he did very well this morning … you will be seeing more of the same from him."
The CHC formally expressed support for Mr. Biden this week, though not all of its members have agreed to continue to back him. Caucus Chair Nanette Díaz Barragán of California and Deputy Caucus Chair Adriano Espaillat of New York issued a statement Monday night affirming their support for the president's 2024 bid.
Elected Democrats watched closely Thursday night as the president delivered an hour-long press conference, fielding questions from reporters on his ability to beat Trump and his mental and physical stamina.
"I'm not in this for my legacy," the president said. "I'm in this to complete the job I started."
Ed O'Keefe, Nikole Killion and Ellis Kim contributed to this report
Fin GómezFin Gómez is the political director for CBS News. Fin oversees the day-to-day political coverage for CBS News. He has covered five presidential political cycles and multiple presidential campaigns. He was formerly a member of the CBS White House unit.
Twitter InstagramveryGood! (7936)
Related
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- Matthew Perry’s death leads to sweeping indictment of 5, including doctors and reputed dealers
- AP Week in Pictures: Global
- Notre Dame suspends men's swimming team over gambling violations, troubling misconduct
- The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
- Want a collector cup from McDonald’s adult Happy Meal? Sets are selling online for $125.
- Federal subpoenas issued in probe of New York Mayor Eric Adams’ 2021 campaign
- Arizona, Nevada and Mexico will lose same amount of Colorado River water next year as in 2024
- SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
- Mom, stepdad of 12-year-old Texas girl who died charged with failure to seek medical care
Ranking
- Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
- Federal court strikes down Missouri investment rule targeted at `woke politics’
- Shine Bright With Blue Nile’s 25th Anniversary Sale— Best Savings of the Year on the Most Popular Styles
- Shannen Doherty's Mom Rosa Speaks Out After Actress' Death
- DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
- Fantasy football: 160 team names you can use from every NFL team in 2024
- Iowa proposes summer grocery boxes as alternative to direct cash payments for low-income families
- Woman charged with trying to defraud Elvis Presley’s family through sale of Graceland
Recommendation
California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
Prisoner serving life for murder who escaped in North Carolina has been caught, authorities say
Texas couple charged with failing to seek medical care for injured 12-year-old who later died
JoJo Siwa Shares She's Dating New Girlfriend Dakayla Wilson
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
Taylor Swift's BFF Abigail Anderson Gives Birth, Welcomes First Baby With Charles Berard
Sofia Richie Shares Special Way She’s Cherishing Mom Life With Baby Eloise
Lily Collins has found ‘Emily 2.0’ in Paris