Current:Home > NewsRekubit Exchange:China says Philippines has 'provoked trouble' in South China Sea with US backing -Blueprint Money Mastery
Rekubit Exchange:China says Philippines has 'provoked trouble' in South China Sea with US backing
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-07 02:39:15
BEIJING — China accused the Philippines on Rekubit ExchangeFriday (Dec 13) of having "provoked trouble" in the South China Sea with US backing, a week after Beijing and Manila traded accusations over a new confrontation in the disputed waters.
"The Philippine side, with US support and solicitation, has been stirring up trouble in many spots in the South China Sea," Wu Qian, a spokesperson for China's defence ministry, said on its official WeChat account.
"The Philippines is well aware that the scope of its territory is determined by a series of international treaties and has never included China's" Spratly Islands and Scarborough Shoal, he added.
Beijing and Manila have been involved this year in a series of confrontations at reefs and outcrops in the South China Sea, which China claims almost in its entirety.
The Philippines, Brunei, Malaysia, Taiwan and Vietnam also claim parts of the sea. They are concerned China's expansive claim encroaches into their exclusive economic zones (EEZ), non-territorial waters that extend 200 nautical miles (370 km) from the coasts of a nation's land.
The Philippines' National Maritime Council and its National Security Council did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the latest remarks from Beijing.
The US Navy's 7th Fleet also did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Philippines officials said last week that Chinese coast guard vessels had fired water cannon and side-swiped a Manila fisheries bureau boat on the way to deliver supplies to Filipino fishermen around the Scarborough Shoal, a move that drew condemnation from the US
China's Coast Guard said that four Philippine ships had attempted to enter waters it described as its own around the Scarborough Shoal, which Beijing calls Huangyan Island.
China submitted nautical charts earlier this month to the United Nations that it said supported its claims to the waters, which a 2016 international tribunal found to be a long established fishing ground for fishermen of many nationalities.
Following the charts' submission, a spokesperson for the Philippines' National Maritime Council, said China's claims were baseless and illegal.
The 2016 tribunal ruled that China's claim had no basis under the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS), and that its blockade around the Scarborough Shoal was in breach of international law.
Beijing has never recognised the decision.
Sovereignty over the Scarborough Shoal has never been established.
The Philippines and other members of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations have spent years negotiating a code of conduct with Beijing for the strategic waterway, with some nations in the bloc insisting that it be based on UNCLOS.
EEZs give the coastal nation jursidiction over living and nonliving resources in the water and on the ocean floor.
[[nid:712152]]
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (4383)
Related
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- This is absolutely the biggest Social Security check any senior will get this year
- A'ja Wilson dragged US women's basketball to Olympic gold in an ugly win over France
- USA men's basketball, USWNT gold medal games at 2024 Paris Olympics most-watched in 20+ years
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- Disney's Goofy Character Isn't Actually a Dog—Or a Cow
- Road rage fight in Los Angeles area leaves 1 man dead; witness says he was 'cold-cocked'
- A’ja Wilson, US women hold off France to win eighth straight Olympic basketball gold medal
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- Perseids to peak this weekend: When and how to watch the best meteor shower of the year
Ranking
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- A'ja Wilson had NSFW answer to describe Kahleah Copper's performance in gold medal game
- After fire struck Maui’s Upcountry, residents of one town looked to themselves to prep for next one
- Families of Brazilian plane crash victims gather in Sao Paulo as French experts join investigation
- Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
- Travis Scott released with no charges after arrest at Paris hotel, reps say
- Chiefs WR Marquise Brown ‘will miss some time’ after dislocating a clavicle in 26-13 loss at Jaguars
- 'Catfish' host Nev Schulman breaks neck in bike accident: 'I'm lucky to be here'
Recommendation
John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
Man sentenced to jail after involuntary manslaughter plea in death stemming from snoring dispute
Snoop Dogg Drops It Like It's Hot at Olympics Closing Ceremony
Chiefs WR Marquise Brown ‘will miss some time’ after dislocating a clavicle in 26-13 loss at Jaguars
Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
Who won at the box office this weekend? The Reynolds-Lively household
Should Shelby McEwen have shared gold for USA's medal count? Don't be ridiculous
Legionnaires’ disease source may be contaminated water droplets near a resort, NH officials say