Current:Home > InvestMichigan judge to decide whether to drop charges against 2 accused in false elector scheme -Blueprint Money Mastery
Michigan judge to decide whether to drop charges against 2 accused in false elector scheme
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-06 23:39:09
LANSING, Mich. (AP) — A Michigan judge is expected to decide Friday morning whether to drop charges against two defendants accused of participating in a fake elector scheme after the state attorney general said the group was “brainwashed” into believing former President Donald Trump won the 2020 election.
The defendants, Clifford Frost and Mari-Ann Henry, are two of 16 Michigan Republicans who investigators say met following the 2020 election and signed a document falsely stating they were the state’s “duly elected and qualified electors.” Each of the 16 faces eight criminal charges, including multiple counts of forgery.
Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel, however, may have derailed the case by saying during a virtual event last month that the electors “legit believe” Trump won the election.
“Every single charge requires the government to prove they did this with the intent to defraud,” said Matthew Schneider, a former U.S. attorney in Detroit. “If the attorney general is saying the group didn’t really intend to do this, because they genuinely believed they were the electors, there’s a strong argument the prosecution can’t prove a necessary element.”
President Joe Biden won Michigan by nearly 155,000 votes, a result confirmed by a GOP-led state Senate investigation in 2021.
Michigan is one of seven states where false Electoral College certificates were submitted declaring Trump the winner despite the confirmation. But it’s the only state where the accused false electors face criminal charges.
Nessel, a Democrat, first brought the charges in July. At a Sept. 18 virtual event organized by liberal groups, Nessel said the group would never plea guilty because they “genuinely believe” Trump won the election.
“These are people who have been brainwashed,” Nessel said, adding that the case would be tried in a county that is “very, very Democratic-leaning.”
In a motion to dismiss charges, Frost’s attorney, Kevin Kijewski, argues Nessel’s comments are an “explicit and clear admission” there was not a criminal intent behind the actions, which is required for all eight of the charges.
Henry’s attorney, George McAvoy Brown, said if the defendants believed Trump won the election, as Nessel stated, then their alleged actions would not have been performed with the “intent to cheat or deceive” anybody.
Nessel’s office did not respond to a request for comment from The Associated Press on Thursday.
Another defendant, Amy Facchinello, has claimed the charges stem from conduct that came “at the direction” of then-President Trump and other federal officers, according to a court filing.
The Ingham County District Court judge, Kristen Simmons, is expected to hear arguments from both sides Friday before making a decision. Simmons is overseeing the cases of the 16 defendants, who all have pleaded not guilty.
Henry and several others, including former Michigan GOP co-chair Meshawn Maddock, are scheduled to appear for a preliminary examination hearing on Oct. 12.
veryGood! (113)
Related
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- Golden Bachelorette: Joan Vassos Gets Engaged During Season Finale
- Bridgerton's Luke Newton Details His Physical Transformation for Season 3's Leading Role
- Cruel Intentions' Brooke Lena Johnson Teases the Biggest Differences Between the Show and the 1999 Film
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Amazon's 'Cross' almost gets James Patterson detective right: Review
- University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign chancellor to step down at end of academic year
- Top Federal Reserve official defends central bank’s independence in wake of Trump win
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- Mike Tyson is expected to honor late daughter during Jake Paul fight. Here's how.
Ranking
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Shel Talmy, produced hits by The Who, The Kinks and other 1960s British bands, dead at 87
- Mike Tyson is expected to honor late daughter during Jake Paul fight. Here's how.
- New Orleans marks with parade the 64th anniversary of 4 little girls integrating city schools
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- Judge hears case over Montana rule blocking trans residents from changing sex on birth certificate
- Mechanic dies after being 'trapped' under Amazon delivery van at Florida-based center
- Texas man accused of supporting ISIS charged in federal court
Recommendation
Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
In an AP interview, the next Los Angeles DA says he’ll go after low-level nonviolent crimes
Jon Gruden joins Barstool Sports three years after email scandal with NFL
FBI raids New York City apartment of Polymarket CEO Shayne Coplan, reports say
'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
Jamie Lee Curtis and Don Lemon quit X, formerly Twitter: 'Time for me to leave'
Beyoncé has released lots of new products. Here's a Beyhive gift guide for the holidays
Study finds Wisconsin voters approved a record number of school referenda