Current:Home > MarketsAlgosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center-Masked intruder pleads guilty to 2007 attack on Connecticut arts patron and fake virus threat -Blueprint Money Mastery
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center-Masked intruder pleads guilty to 2007 attack on Connecticut arts patron and fake virus threat
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 14:50:32
The Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Centerlast of three masked men pleaded guilty to a failed attempt to extort $8.5 million from a wealthy Connecticut arts patron and her companion by threatening them with a deadly virus in a 2007 home invasion.
The 38-year-old Romanian citizen, Stefan Alexandru Barabas, had been on the run for about 15 years before finally being arrested as a fugitive in Hungary in 2022. He pleaded guilty last week to conspiracy to interfere with commerce by extortion, federal prosecutors announced.
Barabas is scheduled to be sentenced on Sept. 11 and could receive six to seven years in prison, if a plea agreement is accepted by the court, prosecutors said.
Three additional men in the case have already been convicted, including the two other masked intruders who prosecutors said entered the home in South Kent with Barabas brandishing fake guns. The men then bound and blindfolded millionaire philanthropist Anne Hendricks Bass and abstract artist Julian Lethbridge, injected them with a substance they claimed was a deadly virus and demanded the couple pay the $8.5 million or else be left to die.
After it became clear Bass and Lethbridge weren’t able to meet their demands, the men drugged the couple with a sleeping aid and fled in Bass’ Jeep Cherokee, prosecutors said.
The SUV was found abandoned at a Home Depot in New Rochelle, New York the next morning. Days later, an accordion case with a stun gun, 12-inch knife, a black plastic replica gun, a crowbar, syringes, sleeping pills, latex gloves and a laminated telephone card with the South Kent address was found washed ashore in Jamaica Bay, New York.
The accordion case and knife were eventually connected to the men, as well as a partial Pennsylvania license plate seen by a witness near Bass’ estate on the night of the home invasion, among other evidence.
Bass, credited with helping to raise the profile of ballet in the U.S., died in 2020. She was 78.
A message was left seeking comment from Lethbridge with a gallery that has shown his artwork.
In 2012, during the trial of Emanuel Nicolescu, one of the intruders and Bass’ former house manager that she had fired, Bass tearfully described thinking she was going to die the night the three men burst into the home she shared with Lethbridge.
Bass said she was taking care of her 3-year-old grandson that weekend and had just put the boy to bed when the break-in occurred, according to news reports.
“I heard war cries, a terrifying sound. I saw three men, dressed in black, charging up the stairs, almost like they were in military formation,” she testified.
She said the intruders then grabbed her, threw her onto the floor and tied up both she and Lethbridge. The men then injected the couple with a substance that turned out to be a benign liquid, according to news reports. Bass said the men had guns and knives but she never saw their faces during the hours-long ordeal.
Bass testified how she was traumatized for months by the attack, noting how she and Lethbridge had previously enjoyed spending weekends at the countryside home.
“Before the home invasion,” she said, “I felt quite comfortable being there by myself. I can’t stay there by myself anymore.”
veryGood! (74)
Related
- Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
- Mary Bonnet Gives Her Take on Bre Tiesi and Chelsea Lazkani's Selling Sunset Drama
- Will Taylor Swift go to Chiefs-Chargers game in Los Angeles? What we know
- Chicago White Sox lose record-breaking 121st game, 4-1 to playoff-bound Detroit Tigers
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- Alabama carries out the nation's second nitrogen gas execution
- Gubernatorial candidate Mark Robinson treated for burns received at appearance, campaign says
- 'Dangerous rescue' saves dozens stranded on hospital roof amid Helene deluge
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Top election official in Nevada county that is key to the presidential race takes stress leave
Ranking
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Helene wreaking havoc across Southeast; 33 dead; 4.5M in the dark: Live updates
- Urban communities that lack shade sizzle when it’s hot. Trees are a climate change solution
- Georgia-Alabama just means less? With playoff expansion, college football faces new outlook
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Residents of a small Mississippi town respond to a scathing Justice Department report on policing
- Real Housewives of Beverly Hills Alum Kim Richards Gets Into Confrontation With Sister Kyle Richards
- The Fate of Thousands of US Dams Hangs in the Balance, Leaving Rural Communities With Hard Choices
Recommendation
Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
Lizzo Makes First Public Appearance Since Sharing Weight Loss Transformation
Horoscopes Today, September 27, 2024
Joliet, Illinois, Plans to Source Its Future Drinking Water From Lake Michigan. Will Other Cities Follow?
DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
Miami Dolphins to start Tyler Huntley at quarterback against Titans
Gubernatorial candidate Mark Robinson treated for burns received at appearance, campaign says
How to watch 'The Walking Dead: Daryl Dixon - The Book of Carol': Premiere, cast, streaming