Current:Home > NewsJohnathan Walker:Newest, bluest resort on Las Vegas Strip aims to bring Miami Beach vibe to southern Nevada -Blueprint Money Mastery
Johnathan Walker:Newest, bluest resort on Las Vegas Strip aims to bring Miami Beach vibe to southern Nevada
Fastexy Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 01:50:50
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A developer’s drive to open a Las Vegas Strip resort with a vibe echoing Miami Beach’s venerable Fontainebleau reaches reality on Johnathan WalkerWednesday, with the opening of a 67-story hotel-casino tower that became famous as it sat unfinished for more than a decade.
“Bringing Fontainebleau Las Vegas to life has been an extraordinary journey,” said Jeffrey Soffer, who started the project, lost it and reacquired it to finish it. “Opening a resort of this size and scope is a once-in-a-lifetime experience.”
The Fontainebleau is the tallest, newest and bluest hotel in southern Nevada’s glittery resort corridor. At $3.7 billion, it’s second in cost to the $4.3 billion, 66-story Resorts World that opened in June 2021 a short walk down Las Vegas Boulevard.
The name of the 3,644-room Fontainebleau recalls Miami Beach’s icon among destination resorts, which Soffer’s family acquired in 2005. But the project in the Mojave Desert has its own lore about starts, stops and changing ownership since work began in 2007.
Soffer, the Miami-based chairman of Fontainebleau Development, lost funding during the Great Recession and walked away from the project in 2009 with the building about 70% complete.
Various new owners stepped in, including famous financier Carl Icahn and New York developer Steven Witkoff. The latter announced plans in 2018 to redesign and rename the resort The Drew, but progress stalled again during the pandemic.
Meanwhile, sitting idle, the hulking shell of a building with an incomplete street-front facade was occasionally used by area firefighters for high-rise rescue training. Last July, with work progressing toward opening, a smoky rooftop fire raised alarm but caused little damage.
Soffer and Fontainebleau Development reacquired the project in 2021 and partnered with Koch Real Estate Investments to finance and finish it.
He called completion “the fulfillment of a long-held dream and a testament to the spirit of our brand, which has stood for seven decades.”
The resort that awaits guests and gamblers just before midnight Wednesday includes a bowties theme that is an homage to the standard neckwear of Morris Lapidus, architect of the Miami resort that opened in 1954.
“Art, architecture, and design are key components of our Fontainebleau culture and guest experience,” Brett Mufson, Fontainebleau Development president, said in a statement ahead of the opening.
Mark Tricano, Fontainebleau Las Vegas president, told state gambling regulators last month that the resort will employ more than 7,000 workers. The property has 1,300 slot machines, 128 gambling tables and more than 36 bars and restaurants — some featuring chefs with Miami roots. Officials said hotel room rates for the opening started around $300 nightly.
The structure is the tallest occupiable building in Nevada and second-tallest in Las Vegas, behind the nearby Strat tower observation deck at 1,149 feet (350 meters).
The Fontainebleau was built on the site of the El Rancho hotel, which dated to 1948 and was imploded in 2000 after Soffer and condominium developer Turnberry Associates bought it. Plans to build a British-themed hotel-casino hotel with Tower of London and Buckingham Palace replicas were shelved after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.
Fontainebleau is adjacent to the newest section of the Las Vegas Convention Center, a $1 billion expanse that opened in January 2021, and has a down-the-Strip view of the brightly lit Sphere concert and entertainment venue that opened in September.
veryGood! (562)
Related
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- Man arrested after appearing to grope female reporter in the middle of her live report in Spain
- $245 million slugger Anthony Rendon questions Angels with update on latest injury
- Landslide in northwest Congo kills at least 17 people after torrential rain
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- Inter Miami CF vs. Atlanta United highlights: Atlanta scores often vs. Messi-less Miami
- Ashton Kutcher resigns from anti-child sex abuse nonprofit after supporting Danny Masterson
- Police: 1 child is dead and 3 others were sickened after exposure to opioids at a New York day care
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- Airbnb removed them for having criminal records. Now, they're speaking out against a policy they see as antihuman.
Ranking
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- New Mexico governor amends controversial temporary gun ban, now targets parks, playgrounds
- ‘Nun 2' narrowly edges ‘A Haunting in Venice’ over quiet weekend in movie theaters
- Tom Brady applauds Shedeur Sanders going 'Brady mode' to lead Colorado to rivalry win
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- When is iOS 17 available? Here's what to know about the new iPhone update release
- A suburban Georgia county could seek tax increase for buses, but won’t join Atlanta transit system
- Man arrested after appearing to grope female reporter in the middle of her live report in Spain
Recommendation
Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
Top EU official heads to an Italian island struggling with migrant influx as Italy toughens stance
Colorado two-way star Travis Hunter taken to hospital during game after late hit vs CSU
Low Mississippi River limits barges just as farmers want to move their crops downriver
See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
College football Week 3 grades: Colorado State's Jay Norvell is a clown all around
A Supreme Court redistricting ruling gave hope to Black voters. They’re still waiting for new maps
Hundreds protest against the Malaysian government after deputy premier’s graft charges were dropped